Skip to main content

How to Type Stuff

mostly Light Novels, but you could use this for typing other stuff.
This post is a Work in Progress.
But my blog looked blank, so I published it.

♦ How much have you typeset?
Not much.

♦ Do you do PDFs?
No, because way too many other people do. Besides, I like doing reflowable epubs more (because that's the format I always read in).

♦ What do you typeset in?
Adobe InDesign CC.
This may change after a few weeks, not sure yet.

♦ Why InDesign?
Of course, me being me, I'm more comfortable editing the code directly, but InDesign has made the tedious process of creating a table of contents and doing mundane styling things so much easier. Some people will feel more comfortable manually inserting <p> tags every single line. Some people don't format as much as I do. Some people like the GUI-oriented InDesign. It all depends on your tastes.

Where do you get your full text documents from?
I copy and paste everything into Notepad, save with UTF-8 encoding, and import that into InDesign.

♦ Do I have to replace all those missing characters by hand?
No. This is actually the reason *cough* that I use InDesign now.
I use MingLiu for asian text. Make sure that in the epub file, MingLiu (or whatever asian font you pick) is included.

♦ Do you spellcheck?
No. All the places, names, and terms are generally all that show up.

STYLING STUFF THAT YOU CAN IGNORE

Because most of these are just personal preferences, really.

Serif or Sans-serif?
Since I usually do reflowable epubs, my preference doesn't matter as much, but serif.
I find sans-serif to be more web style and less "print" style.

♦ How do you Furigana?
I don't. I search/replace all furigana with text<furigana>.
I don't like to have it as small text on top of the main text because I think it just makes it awkward to read.
If you really want to do it, here's some code:
<span style="white-space: nowrap; position: relative;"><span style="position: absolute; font-size: .8em; top: -11px; left: 50%; white-space: nowrap; letter-spacing: normal; color: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit;"><span style="position: relative; left: -50%;">furigana</span></span><span style="display: inline-block; color: inherit; letter-spacing: normal; font-size: 1.0em; font-weight: inherit;">normal text</span></span>

♦ Small Caps?
There is always at least one point in your life where you just have to ignore Butterwick's Practical Typography.
Yes, I know. I disregard it all the time. (Using Arial, how scandalous).
Anyways, I just turn on the small-caps option, therefore faking the small caps, because of font compatibility and stuff.

♦ What the heck is a drop cap?

That. If the light novel you're typesetting doesn't contain any one-line first paragraphs (read: rare), go ahead. (Which is why you don't see it too often from me).

 Ellipses?
There is a special ellipsis character that you should be using. For reference, I'll leave it here {…}
(Yes, that is one character). Also according to grammar, no spaces between ellipses and text. (Unless the word is being repeated, like... like this.)

Fonts?
For epubs: No. I'll advise you to not lock anything to a specific font.
except certain unicode and/or Asian characters that require it for proper rendering.
You're completely ruining one of the *main* points of epubs,
For PDFs: I haven't made a PDF yet, so I wouldn't know. I'll get back to you when I do.

Edit: 1/1/2017
Always make 100% sure that the first page of a chapter is on the right side when doing a pdf. This helps with readability. Things like Arc separator pages should also be their own right-side page

Comments